Advisory Board for National Council of Persons With Disability Inaugurated
May 4, 2018 11:20 am
The Ministry for Gender, Children and Social Protection in its efforts to achieve its mandate of bridging the gap between the abled and disabled in the society has inaugurated the Advisory Board of the National Council of Persons with Disability (PWD).
Speaking at the inauguration ceremony of the Board, the sector Minister, Hon. Otiko Afisah Djaba said the Ministry for Gender, Children and Social Protection has a huge mandate of ensuring Gender Equality through mainstreaming gender considerations, promoting the welfare and protection of children and empowering the vulnerable, excluded, aged and persons with disabilities through the use of social protection to achieve national development.
The National Council on Persons with Disability (NCPD) is a creation of the Disability Act 2006 (Act 715) (section41.1), with an object to propose and evolve policies and strategies to enable persons with disability enter and participate in the mainstream of national development process.
Hon. Otiko Afisah Djaba said the establishment of the NCPD board is very important for the implementation of the National Council of Persons with Disability Act (Act 715).
The board shall among other things perform the following functions:
- Monitor and evaluate Disability policies and programs
- Advised the Ministry on Disability issues and submit to the minister proposals for appropriate legislation on disability;
- Coordinate Activities of organizations of persons with disability, and international organizations and non-governmental organizations that deal with disability and
- Maintain a register of, (i) persons with disabilities and (ii) institutions, organizations and associations which
- provide rehabilitation, services or support for persons with disabilities.
Hon. Otiko Djaba congratulated the thirteen-member NCPD Board and urged them to use their expertise and experiences to help the NCPD transform the lives of persons with disabilities through the mobilization of resources and support in any form to execute its mandate.
Below is a full list of the National Council of disability board;
- Mr. Yaw Ofori Debra; Ghana Federation of Disability Organizations,
- Mr.Walter Kwao Anati; Ministry of health,
- Mr.Daniel Nonah; Department of social welfare,
- Mr.Frank Safo; Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development,
- Ms. Akwelley Bulley; Ghana Employers Association,
- Mr. Divine Ayidzoe; Ministry of Education,
- Mr. Claude Felix Ewa; Ministry of Employment and Labour relations,
- Rev. Steve Mensah; Charismatic Evangelistic Ministry and physically Disabled advocacy.
The remaining board members are;
- Rita Kyeremaa Kusi; Ghana Federation of Disability Organisations, Humprey Kofie; Mental Health Society of Ghana,
- Kwamena Dadzie Dennis; Ministry of Gender Children and Social Protection,
- Rev. Father Andrew Campbell; Christ the King Catholic Church and
- Mr. Yakor-Dagbah Mawunyo Kuma; Ghana Audit Service.
A member of the Board shall hold office for a period of three years and is eligible for reappointment but a member shall not hold office for more than two terms in Succession (Act 715, 2006 section 44. (1).
The Board is expected to meet at least once every three months for the dispatch of business at times and in places determined by the chair person.